Southwick’s Zoo is located on very hilly terrain and not all pathways are paved.
We advise ALL visitors to use caution while moving throughout the zoo. Remember to keep the following in mind while traveling through the zoo:
- Please go SLOW and use extra caution if in a wheelchair or pushing someone in a wheelchair.
- Please watch for uneven pavement and use caution on the transition from pavement to hard dirt.
- The zoo map looks flat, but the zoo is on a hill with 3 levels – 1) Upper Level where you begin at the main entrance, 2) Middle Level where Zebra Café and EARTH Discovery Center are located, and 3) Lower Level where lions, tigers, show arena, and train station are located.
- It is easier to navigate by STARTING WITH THE LOWER LEVEL (this way guests will not get “stranded” on the lower level after a full day of activity) by leaving the main entrance and slowly making your way straight down the hill past Zebra Café towards the show arena and rhino habitat.
- To reach the middle level from the lower level, we suggest going by way of the train station and chimpanzees to access the middle level. This is an easier incline to manage.
- To reach the upper level, we suggest going through Deer Forest from the chimpanzees towards the giraffe habitat. We do NOT recommend going up the Playground Hill or the Camel/Rainforest Maze Hill, as these are steep and difficult to manage.