NOTICE: Sloth Encounters will not be available when we are able to open for our 2020 season and, at this time, we cannot guarantee if/when they will be available this year. Please check back for updates regarding Sloth Encounter availability for 2020.
Note: Sorry, gift certificates are not available for sloth encounters. Please remember that sloth encounters cannot be reserved or purchased before registration opens for the season, and we cannot take special requests for dates and times.
Hang out with a two-toed sloth during a sloth encounter! These encounters, presented by EARTH Limited, provide zoo visitors with the opportunity to meet one of our sloths up close. Half of proceeds from sloth encounters will be donated to the Sloth Institute, and the remaining proceeds will help support EARTH Limited’s educational programming at our zoo.
Each encounter session will last approximately 15 minutes. Encounters begin with a brief talk focusing on sloth biology, ecology, and conservation efforts. Participants will then enter the sloth enclosure where they will be able to feed a sloth and possibly touch a sloth. Please be aware that we cannot guarantee touching as it will depend on the animal’s comfort during the encounter. Participants will NOT be able to hold the sloths.
*Spots are very limited and must be reserved online in advance. Zoo passes, coupons, discounts, or other offers cannot be applied to the price of sloth encounters. Gift certificates are not available for sloth encounters.
Rules & Guidelines
- All Sloth Encounter participants must be at least 10 years of age.
- Only registered and paid sloth encounter participants are allowed into the sloth enclosure. Non-registered family and friends visiting the zoo are welcome to watch and take pictures from outside of the habitat however!
- Participants will not be able to hold the sloths. Please be aware that we cannot guarantee touching as it will depend on the animal’s comfort during the encounter.
- Each encounter session has a maximum of 2 people.
- We suggest wearing comfortable closed-toe shoes. We DO NOT recommend wearing flip flops or sandals.
- Sloth encounters take place rain or shine.
- Please be aware that, due to the limited availability, sloth encounters cannot be rescheduled. If participants do not show up or are more than 10 minutes late to their scheduled encounter, the encounter cannot be refunded or rescheduled.
- Zoo passes, gift cards, coupons, discounts, or other offers cannot be applied to the price of sloth encounters.
- We currently cannot take requests for custom dates/times. The only dates available are those listed on the registration page. Please note that sloth encounters cannot be reserved or purchased before registration opens for the season.