*If you are looking for information regarding Animal Care Internships or Education Internships with EARTH Limited and Southwick’s Zoo, click HERE.
*If you are looking for information about employment at Galliford’s Restaurant & Tavern (front of house, back of house, and event staff positions), click HERE.
Requirements For Winter Wonderland and Festival of Illumination Applicants
Seasonal positions are part-time, and schedules will vary weekly for most positions.
Please review the position descriptions below before completing your application to determine which position you are best suited for. In accordance with Massachusetts child labor laws, please no applicants under 16 years of age.
- Availability: Evening availability is required. Winter Wonderland and the Festival of Illumination is a nighttime event, open 5:00pm-9:00pm, Wednesday-Sunday, until January 2, 2022.
- All applicants must be at least 16 years of age. Please note that some positions require a minimum age of 18 years.
- All applicants must be comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions. Please note that Winter Wonderland is an outdoor event taking place at night, so applicants must be comfortable working outdoors during the winter.
- All job positions can be assigned additional duties as required by management.
Winter Wonderland and Festival of Illumination Team Member
Winter Wonderland is Southwick’s Zoo’s annual holiday themed event, and this year it will feature the Festival of Illumination. This event will be open 5:00pm-9:00pm, Wednesday-Sunday until January 2, 2022.
Winter Wonderland includes a Drive Thru experience for guests to view holiday lights and lantern sculptures within the zoo, and a small walk thru area will also be available for guests to meet Santa, enjoy entertainment, enjoy refreshments, and more.
- Applicants must be available for night time shifts.
- Must be comfortable working outdoors.
- Must have strong customer service and communication skills.
- Must enjoy working with and interacting with guests of all ages.
- Must have a positive and upbeat demeanor.
- This position would require regularly standing and walking. Applicants must be able to use both hands, reach with hands and arms, kneel, crouch, or crawl occasionally, and be able to lift or move up to 60 pounds.
Animal Care Positions
Part-time Ambassador & Reptile Zookeeper/Educator
As New England’s largest zoo, Southwick’s Zoo is home to more than 850 animals representing over 150 different species. Southwick’s offers an exciting environment for visitors to learn more about animals and their conservation. The educational programs offered at the zoo, as well as those offered to the larger local community, are provided by EARTH Ltd, an environmental education non-profit located at Southwick’s Zoo and based out of the EARTH Discovery Center.
Part-time Ambassador & Reptile Zookeeper/Educator
Southwick’s Zoo is currently accepting applications for a seasonal, part-time Ambassador & Reptile Zookeeper/Educator. This position assists the Zookeeper/Educators in the EARTH Discovery Center and reports to the Lead Ambassador & Reptile Zookeeper/Educator.
Approximate work schedule will be three days a week (Friday, Saturday, Tuesday).
- Conduct education programming, including on-site formal and informal live animal presentations; Junior Zookeeping; demonstrations for our Wild Adventures Summer Program; on-site virtual and off-site in-person ZooMobile presentations; and other off-site events such as career fairs, class lectures, etc.
- Interact and interpret with visitors in a positive manner in a variety of situations.
- Participate in, and support, after-hour events, fundraisers, and other EARTH Ltd. sponsored events. Assist in daily care and husbandry of EARTH’s ambassador animal and reptile collection, which currently consists of about 65 different species (over 150 individual animals) of invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals.
- Assist with and implement positive reinforcement training for husbandry behaviors and show behaviors.
- Assist in the creation and implementation of enrichment for animals.
- Assist in the transport of animals throughout the zoo.
- Assist in daily up-keep of the EARTH Discovery Center and Reptile Building.
- Assist in managing and supervising interns.
- Perform membership transactions and administrative tasks in the EARTH Discovery Center as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- College degree in biological sciences, education, or related field required.
- Previous public speaking and/or teaching experience highly preferred.
- Previous experience caring for animals preferred.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be comfortable working with children of all ages, as well as adults.
- Must work well independently, but also as a team player.
- Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time, work inside and outdoors in any weather, and be able to lift and carry up to 35 pounds.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
How to Apply
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with the subject line “Part-time Ambassador & Reptile Zookeeper/Educator”.
Please note that, other than the listing above, we do not have any additional zookeeper openings at this time. To inquire about future animal care employment opportunities at Southwick’s Zoo, please call 800-258-9182 ext 209 or mail your cover letter (addressed to Betsey Brewer), resume, and two professional references to:
Attn: Animal Care
2 Southwick’s Street
Mendon, MA 01756