Thank you for your interest in becoming part of the Southwick’s Zoo team. We are not accepting applications at this time. We will begin hiring for the 2020 zoo season in mid-February 2020.
*If you are looking for information regarding Animal Care or Education Internships with EARTH Limited and Southwick’s Zoo, click HERE.
*If you are looking for information about employment at Galliford’s Restaurant & Tavern, click HERE.
Requirements For All Seasonal Positions
Please check back in mid-February for a list of available positions and the online application for the 2020 zoo season.
Seasonal positions are part-time, and schedules will vary weekly for most positions.
Please review the position descriptions below before completing your application to determine which position you are best suited for. In accordance with Massachusetts child labor laws, please no applicants under 16 years of age.
- Availability: Applicants must be available to work during our normal season (April through October) including weekdays, weekends, holidays unless stated otherwise.
- All applicants must be at least 16 years of age. Please note that some positions require a minimum age of 18 years.
- All applicants must be comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions unless otherwise stated in the job position requirements.
- All job positions can be assigned additional duties as required by management.
EARTH Limited: Development Coordinator (part-time)
EARTH Limited, the education conservation non-profit based at Southwick’s Zoo, is seeking an entry-level Development Coordinator with a passion for the environment, education, and conservation, to help grow its organization. This position will require 10-15 hours per week, with the opportunity to work remotely on some days. This position is part-time with potential to lead to full-time in the future.
BACKGROUND: EARTH Ltd is a non-profit organization located at Southwick’s Zoo in Mendon, MA. EARTH’s mission is to Inspire a commitment to protect and conserve our planet and our future. EARTh’s goal is to foster a connection between children and nature, and they believe that education is the key to protecting our planet for future generations.
- Assist with EARTH Ltd’s fundraising activities including creating and managing appeals, finding new donors, and maintaining EARTH’s donor base.
- Procure donations and organize donated items for EARTH’s annual auction.
- Assist with planning and coordinating fundraising events such as the Benefit EARTH Bash, EARTH Awareness Day, and Winos for Rhinos.
- Draft bimonthly newsletters to EARTH’s members and email list.
- Assist with EARTH’s social media as needed.
- Oversee development and implementation of future fundraising plans.
- Seek out grants and research prospects for funding.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience in development or fundraising.
- Must have strong computer skills including previous experience with Microsoft Office and similar software.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be capable of working independently or as part of a team.
- Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working in a small nonprofit setting.
- Networks and contacts in the environmental and funding field.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email your cover letter and resume to Betsey Brewer Bethel at firstname.lastname@example.org and cc: Samantha Russak at email@example.com with the subject line “EARTH Development Coordinator”.
Animal Care Positions
Please note that we do not have any zookeeper openings at this time. To inquire about future animal care employment opportunities at Southwick’s Zoo, please call 800-258-9182 ext 209 or mail your cover letter (addressed to Betsey Brewer), resume, and two professional references to:
Attn: Animal Care
2 Southwick’s Street
Mendon, MA 01756