Thank you for your interest in becoming part of the Southwick’s Zoo team! We are currently accepting applications for our 2019 season (April 6 – October 31). Seasonal positions are part-time, and schedules will vary weekly for most positions.
Please review the position descriptions below before completing your application to determine which position you are best suited for. In accordance with Massachusetts child labor laws, please no applicants under 16 years of age.
*If you are looking for information regarding Animal Care or Education Internships with EARTH Limited and Southwick’s Zoo, click HERE.
*If you are looking for information about employment at Galliford’s Restaurant & Tavern, click HERE.
Requirements For All Seasonal Positions
- Availability: Applicants must be available to work during our normal season (April through October) including weekdays, weekends, holidays unless stated otherwise.
- All applicants must be at least 16 years of age. Please note that some positions require a minimum age of 18 years.
- All applicants must be comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions unless otherwise stated in the job position requirements.
- All job positions can be assigned additional duties as required by management.
If you worked at Southwick’s Zoo during 2018 and wish to return for the 2019 season, please reapply using the Returning Employee Application. Returning employees DO NOT need to fill out the normal seasonal employee application.
Please review the positions below to determine which position you are best suited for. Please do not apply for positions unless you meet both age and job requirements. Sorry, due to the high volume of applications we receive, we will not be able to consider applications that do not meet all requirements.
Click position titles to expand for full descriptions and requirements.
Parking attendants assist guests with parking their vehicles in a safe and organized manner. Job responsibilities include directing vehicles (including school buses) to park in the appropriate areas, directing traffic as guests cross the street, maintaining a safe environment for both drivers and pedestrians, keeping parking lots clean and free of litter, and assisting in other areas of the zoo as needed.
- Weekend availability is a priority.
- Must be safety conscious and have a strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Must have a positive and upbeat demeanor.
- Must have strong customer service and communication skills.
- This position would require regularly standing and walking. Applicants must be able to use both hands, reach with hands and arms, kneel, crouch, or crawl occasionally, and be able to lift or move up to 60 pounds.
Food Service Team Member
Food Service team members work in Southwick’s Zoo’s food and beverage venues. Job duties include food preparation, cooking, cash handling, and cleaning. They are also responsible for maintaining a clean safe work environment that meets health and safety standards. Food Service employees are also expected to answer visitor inquiries about all areas of the zoo.
- Must have a friendly demeanor and strong customer service skills
- Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced and demanding work environment
- Must have strong communication skills and be able to work in a team environment or independently
- Position would require regularly standing and walking. Applicants must be able to use hands, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl occasionally, and be able to lift or move up to 60 pounds.
Food Service Supervisor (Applicants must be 18+)
Food Service Supervisors oversee the daily operations of the food and beverage services within Southwick’s Zoo. They ensure the delivery of exceptional service and product, maintain a safe and clean work environment, and provide guidance and support to Food Service Team Members. Employees in this position manage and monitor product quality and ensure that all food handling, preparation, and storage standards are met, and they ensure compliance with health, safety, sanitation standards to maintain a clean and safe work environment. Supervisors monitor, observe, and assist Food Service Team Members, enforce all employee standards of conduct per the employee manual and enforce rules/regulations, and assist with training team members.
Availability/Time Commitment: Weekend availability is a priority for this position. Applicants are required to work 5 days a week including one weekend day.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have prior experience in a food service position.
- Must have strong customer service skills and ability to professionally resolve customer conflicts
- Must have experience operating a POS system and handling cash
- Must be highly motivated and goal oriented
- Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced work environment and able to multi-task
- Must have strong problem-solving skills and ability to identify and address issues quickly and accordingly
- This position requires regularly standing and walking. Applicants must be able to use hands, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl occasionally, and be able to lift or move up to 60 pounds.
Please thoroughly read position descriptions and requirements before applying.
Animal Care Positions
Please note that we do not have any zookeeper openings at this time. To inquire about future animal care employment opportunities at Southwick’s Zoo, please call 800-258-9182 ext 209 or mail your cover letter (addressed to Betsey Brewer), resume, and two professional references to:
Attn: Animal Care
2 Southwick’s Street
Mendon, MA 01756