Volunteer at the Zoo
Do you like to talk to people about animals and conservation? Are you loking for a way to contribute to EARTH Ltd and Southwick’s Zoo? Our docent program is for dedicated individuals who want to volunteer their time to help educate zoo visitors and help them create fond zoo memories!
What do EARTH and Southwick’s Zoo’s docents do?
Our docents work in many different locations throughout the zoo educating guests and answering questions. Docents act as the “answer people” within the zoo. Docents are asked many questions ranging from “Why do giraffes have purple tongues” to “What are the tigers’ names?” to “Where is the nearest restroom?” In addition to educating and assisting visitors, docents also have the opportunity to assist with certain events.
Volunteering with EARTH and our zoo is a rewarding experience; docents learn much about the zoo and its inhabitants, and they are part of an amazing group of individuals!
*Please be aware the docents DO NOT assist with zookeeping or animal care. Docents strictly play an educational role within the zoo.
- All applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- All applicants must be vaccinated for COVID-19
- Applicants must have weekend availability. Those accepted to the volunteer/docent program must take a 10 week class taking place on Saturdays February-April to learn information about the zoo and its inhabitants. Each new docent will be mentored by a senior docent.
- Docents are asked to volunteer a minimum of 8 hours/month during the zoo’s normal season of April-October. Please note that new docents only volunteer on weekends.
- A free Family Value Pass to bring friends and family to the zoo after completing a certain number of hours
- Discounts on food and merchandise purchased at the zoo
- You’ll become a part of a great group of people!
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with EARTH Limited and Southwick’s Zoo. To apply, please fill out and submit the form below. We will accept applications until December 31, 2021.