NOTICE: Southwick's Zoo is closed for the winter. Please check back soon for 2021 season updates.
Visitors have the opportunity to get up close and personal with a few of our animals in the Deer Forest, Petting Zoo, and Parakeet Landing. Entry into each is included with admission, and food can be purchased at each location. Please ONLY feed deer, goats, and parakeets with the food available to purchase at their respective location. All animals are on special diets and the incorrect food can make them extremely ill.
Southwick’s Zoo is home to a 35 acre Deer Forest where visitors can get close to and even feed our fallow deer. Follow the longer winding walkway through a beautiful native ecosystem complete with a pond featuring painted turtles, frogs, and tadpoles.
Deer feed is available to purchase from a feeding station at the forest’s entrance. Please remember that plastic bags are NOT allowed in the deer forest as they pose a choking hazard to the animals.
Deer Forest Rules & Guidelines
- Stay on the path at all times.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Please hold children under the age of 5 while feeding the deer.
- Treat the animals with respect. Remember, you are a visitor in their home. Do not scream at, yell at, chase, or crowd the deer.
- Do not litter, and DO NOT bring plastic bags into the Deer Forest.
- Do not touch their antlers.
- DO not feed the deer outside food or food purchased from the petting zoo. They are only to be fed deer food purchased at our zoo.
- Walk slowly. For your safety and the safety of the animals, DO NOT run.
- For groups and field trips, we require 1 chaperone for every 5 children to enter Deer Forest.
Visit our petting zoo to pet and feed our herd of pygmy goats! These small playful goats are favorites here and this attraction is not to be missed. In this area you can also see our Vietnamese pot-bellied pig (and sometimes piglets!) and alpacas. When in the petting zoo please follow the rules and treat our animals with respect. Goats may be overly playful, so always be careful when interacting with them.
Petting Zoo Rules
- Children MUST be accompanied and supervised by an adult.
- For groups and field trips, we require 1 chaperone for every 5 children to enter the petting zoo.
- DO NOT pick up any of the goats.
- Please only feed goats the food available in the petting zoo. DO NOT feed them the deer forest grain or any outside food. Please do not try to feed them any non-food objects.
- If a goat does not want to be pet or fed, please do not chase or harass them.
This walk-through aviary is a unique and interactive experience where visitors can be surrounded by cute and colorful parakeets and cockatiels. If you would like to feed a parakeet, seed sticks are available for $1 each.
Open Daily: 11:00am-4:00pm (weather permitting)
Parakeet Landing Rules
For the safety of the birds and our visitors, please follow all posted rules and guidelines.
- For groups and field trips, we require 1 chaperone for every 5 children to enter the Parakeet Landing.
- Stay on the path at all times.
- Do not step onto the rocks.
- No running
- Be very careful while inside the aviary. The birds fly freely and may land on the ground, so please show extra caution.
After you visit our lovely feathered friends, make sure you stop by the Parakeet Landing gift shop for bird themed gifts and souvenirs!