This event is all about enrichment! We will have enrichment for our visitors to so they can learn first hand how we keep our animals happy and healthy. Visitors will also be able to view animals interacting with enrichment and even learn how to build enrichment.
Curious what enrichment is? Enrichment is used to provide mental and physical stimulation and to promote natural behaviors. It can take many forms including:
- sensory (unfamiliar smells, sounds, or textures)
- foods (new foods, foraging enrichment, puzzle feeders, etc)
- environmental (new items added to habitat such as climbing structures, swings, hiding areas, etc)
- toys (boxes, balls, and other non-food items to encourage exploration and/or play)
Enrichment Day Schedule
Planning out your day?
Click here to download a printable Enrichment Day Map and Schedule!
- Kangaroos – Hanging foraging box
- Giraffes – Foraging Logs
- Rhinos – scent enrichment
- Cheetahs – Scent enrichment
- Reptile Room – Scented plastic egg enrichment
- Browse will be distributed to the following animals throughout the day:
Aoudads, muntjacs, vicuna, Bactrian camels, sika deer, warthogs, red rivers hogs
- Frozen bamboo popsicles or bamboo with live mealworms will be distributed to the following primates throughout the day: Brown-capped capuchins, black mangabeys, white-faced capuchins, squirrel monkeys, Schmidt’s guenons, Wolf’s guenons, DeBrazza’s guenons, grivets
Timed Enrichment Events/Activities:
- 10:00am: Black capped capuchins and white faced capuchins will receive scent enrichment to demonstrate the natural behavior of self-anointing
- 10:30am: Patas monkeys will receive containers of mulch with live mealworms
- 10:45am: Coatis will receive enrichment project made by EARTH Ltd interns
- 11:00am: Chimpanzees will receive a large hanging mirror
- 11:00am – 3:00pm: Visitor-assisted bird enrichment making near the Bird Show Arena
- 11:30am: Pickles the African Crested Porcupine will demonstrate how he paints at the EARTH Discovery Center (Note: demonstration will take the place of EARTH’s 11:30 Adaptations presentation)
- 12:00pm: Red-legged seriema keeper talk and training session demonstrating snake slam behavior
- 12:30pm: Leopard will receive enrichment project created by the hoofstock interns – fire hose ball with scent
- 12:45pm: Tigers and lions receive scent enrichment (scent on fire hose balls)
- 1:30pm: Marmosets will receive enrichment project made by EARTH Ltd interns
(Note: This will take the place of EARTH’s daily 1:30pm presentation)
- 1:45pm: Skunk “Snuffle mat” demonstration outside of EARTH Discovery Center
- 2:00pm: Two Toed Sloths will receive enrichment project made by EARTH interns (Note: This will take place at the lower sloth habitat located across from the eagle owls. There will not be a 2:00pm Sloth Keeper Talk on this day.)
- 2:30pm: African Crested Porcupine enrichment demonstration
- 3:00pm: Interactive “fishing pole” enrichment for Aldabra tortoises (created by one of our primate interns)
- 3:00pm – 3:45pm:– Visitor-assisted enrichment making by the coati exhibit
- 3:15pm: Training session with Sebastian the African Grey to see how parrots can learn to paint at the Bird Show Arena
- 3:45pm: Visitor-made enrichment will be given to coatis
- 4:00pm: Interactive “fishing pole” enrichment for sulcata tortoises (located near the entrance)
- 4:15pm: Kookaburras will receive small pool with live minnows
- Raffle 10:00am – 4:00pm
Location: Jungle Hut (near the EARTH Discovery Center)
All proceeds will go toward purchasing enrichment for animals at the zoo! Two winners will be drawn, and each raffle winner will receive a 2-person sloth encounter scheduled for July 29th. $5 per ticket, cash only.
- Foraging Station 11:00am – 2:00pm
Location: Zoo Crew Stage
Compete with a friend to see who can find the most resources in our foraging pools the fastest! Winners will receive bragging rights.
- Enrichment Device Station 11:00am – 2:00pm
Location: Zoo Crew Stage
View a variety of enrichment puzzles and devices up close and even test a few out.
- Bird Enrichment Making Station 11:00am – 3:00pm
Location: Bird Show Arena
Assist our bird department in making enrichment for the zoo’s parrot collection.
- Scent Enrichment Station 12:00pm – 1:30pm
Location: Near Lions & Tigers
Try to guess what different scents are out of sealed containers. Learn about how different animals use their sense of smell. Some things smell good to certain animals and other things smell bad!
- Snuffle Mat Station 1:00pm – 3:00pm
Location: Inside the EARTH Discovery Center
Assist in making “snuffle mats” for our primates and small mammals. Visitors can take home instructions for making their own snuffle mats for their dogs or cats! Special snuffle mat demonstration to take place at 1:45 in the rock pit outside of the EARTH Discovery Center.
- Coati Enrichment Making Station 3:00pm – 3:45pm
Location: Near the Coati Habitat
Assist the EARTH department in making enrichment for the coatis. Visitors can then see their enrichment given to the coatis at 3:45PM.
*This event is included with normal admission rates at no additional cost.
Event dates and details are subject to change without notice, so please check back frequently.