Internships with EARTH Ltd and Southwick’s Zoo are a rewarding experience where you will have the opportunity to learn and develop valuable skills while working in a unique setting. Spring/Summer Internships begin in May and end in August. Fall internships begin in August and typically end in November.
The deadline to apply for Education Spring/Summer 2017 internships has been extended to March 24, 2017.
We are no longer currently accepting applications for Animal Care Spring/Summer 2017 internships.
If you have any questions, email or call Samantha Russak at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-258-9182 ext 214
Requirements for all internships
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a student currently enrolled in college or a recent graduate.
- Must be able to attend internship training orientation and zoo tour in May for Summer internships and August for Fall internships.
- Must be willing and able to work with children of varying ages, as well as adults in a professional manner.
- Must be able to take and follow directions to maintain a safe work environment for personnel, visitors and the animals at the zoo.
- All interns will be required to complete three assignments during their internships. Assignments are dependent on internship position. (Spring/Summer internships only)
- All interns are required to create a project for and attend EARTH Awareness Day on Saturday, August 5, 2017. (Spring/Summer internships only)
- Interns are required to assist with EARTH Bash on Saturday, June 30, 2017 and one additional EARTH event. (Spring/Summer internships only)
Benefits of all internships
- Discounts for food purchased at zoo during work hours
- Discounts for gifts purchased at the zoo gift shop
- Season’s pass to use for yourself and friends for entrance to the zoo on non-work days (after 2nd week of internship)
- The opportunity to gain experience and work with a great group of people!
All Interns will be responsible to their direct supervisors (listed below), in addition to Samantha Russak, Director of Education and Betsey Brewer, Executive Director of Conservation, Education, & Research.
EARTH Ltd. Wild Adventure Summer Program Intern (Spring/Summer Only)
Number of available positions: 2-3
Direct supervisors: Program Director, Jan Weatherbee; Instructor, Bob Clark
Goal/Objective: Interns in the Wild Adventure Summer Program will help guide and oversee students through their daily adventures.
*Summer Program interns must be able to work Mon-Fri. Please note that this internship begins in mid-June, however Summer Program interns are still required to attend orientation in May.
Summer Programs offered by EARTH Ltd are:
- Adventure and Ecosystems (Grades 4, 5, 6) June 26-June 30
- Introduction to Animal Ecology (Grades K & 1) July 5-7
- Animal Behavior (Grades 2 & 3) July 10-14
- Adventure and Ecosystems (Grades 4, 5, 6) June 17-July 21
- Introduction to Animal Ecology (Grades 1 & 2) July 24-28
- Teen Zoology (Grades 7, 8, 9) July 31-August 4
- Animal Behavior (Grades 2 & 3) August 7-11
- Prior experience working with children preferred.
- Students pursuing a degree related to education are preferred.
- Must be able to be in close proximity to hay and shavings and other possible allergens, such as: dust, mold, and grass
Wild Adventure Summer Program interns will:
- Assist with daily tasks
- Enthusiastically engage students in a schedule of crafts, activities, animal encounters, and zoo tours
- Ensure the safety of all students
- Build and maintain a good rapport with students and parents
- Assist with clean-up and organization
- Chaperone students on excursions
- Develop project to present on EARTH Awareness Day