Thank you for your interest in becoming part of the Southwick’s Zoo team! Please keep in mind that all positions require weekend and holiday availability during the zoo season (April through October). Seasonal positions are not full time, and schedules will vary weekly for most positions.
Applications for review may or may not get a call for interview. Please review the position descriptions available below to determine which position you are best suited for.
In accordance with Massachusetts child labor laws, please no applicants under 16 years of age.
*If you are looking for information regarding internships at Southwick’s Zoo, click HERE.
*If you are looking for the application for Galliford’s Restaurant & Tavern, click HERE.
Please review the positions below to determine which position you are best suited for. Click position titles to expand for full descriptions. Please do not apply for positions unless you meet both age and job requirements. Sorry, due to the high volume of applications we receive, we will not be able to consider applications that do not meet all requirements.
Requirements For All Applicants
- All applicants must be at least 16 years of age. Please note that some positions require a minimum age of 18 years.
- All applicants must be available to work through the month of August
- High School/College Student Availability: Must be available to work both Saturday and Sunday, and must be available to work up to 5 days a week during the summer.
- Non-Student Availability: Must be available to work at least 4 days each week including one weekend day.
Click the positions below for descriptions and requirements.
If you are not hired during the spring or if you are a high school student who will not be 16 until later in the summer, we will hire for many positions in July. Those who are hired later and work through the end of our season will be first on the list to be hired for next year’s season (depending on performance), so this is a fantastic opportunity to get your foot in the door for 2019.
Sanitation Team Member
We are looking for a hard working individual to help keep our zoo clean! Employees in this position are responsible for collecting trash and emptying recycling receptacles within the park.
This position is part-time and shifts will run 5:00pm-8:00pm.
- Must be self motivated and able to work independently
- Must be comfortable working outdoors
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a valid drivers license in good standing
- Applicants must submit to a CORI check
Parking attendants assist guests with parking their vehicles in a safe and organized manner. Job responsibilities include directing vehicles (including school buses) to park in the appropriate areas, directing traffic as guests cross the street, maintaining a safe environment for both drivers and pedestrians, keeping parking lots clean and free of litter, and assisting in other areas of the zoo as needed.
- Must be comfortable working outdoors and on their feet for extended periods of time.
- Must be friendly and positive with strong customer service skills
- Must be safety conscious
- Must be comfortable speaking with the public and have strong oral, verbal communication skills
- Must be self-motivated and capable of working independently
Admissions Team Member
Admissions team members assist our visitors with their entry into the zoo. They greet guests as they enter, provide admissions rates and information, process ticket sales, scan tickets, answer visitor questions, and serve as the zoo’s ambassadors. Admissions team members are expected to answer questions about all areas of the zoo, direct visitors to different locations within the zoo, resolve customer conflicts, provide guests with information about daily shows, events, zoo rules, and other pertinent information, and ensure that visitors have an overall positive experience. Admissions team members are also expected to keep the zoo’s entrance neat and clean at all times.
*This position is great for retirees.
- Must have strong customer service skills and must be comfortable interacting with all types of guests
- Must be friendly, courteous, and upbeat
- Must have strong communication skills and know proper phone etiquette
- Basic math skills
- Previous cash handling and POS system experience is a plus
Corporate Outings Host/Hostess
Corporate Outings Hosts/Hostesses assist with corporate and private events here at Southwick’s Zoo. Over the years we have become a popular venue for events including weddings, corporate outings, family reunions, baby showers, and more. Hosts/Hostesses assist with all aspects of events from set up to clean up. They will monitor and attend to the needs of our guests and ensure that they have a positive experience.
- Must be friendly, outgoing, and personable
- Must be able to work quickly and efficiently
- Must have excellent customer services and communication skills
- Must also be comfortable working outdoors and able to work on his or her feet for extended periods of time
- Must be comfortable lifting and carrying
- Previous hospitality experience is a plus
Animal Care Positions
Please note that we do not have any zookeeper openings at this time. To inquire about future animal care employment opportunities at Southwick’s Zoo, please call 800-258-9182 ext 209 or mail your cover letter (addressed to Betsey Brewer), resume, and two professional references to:
Attn: Animal Care
2 Southwick’s Street
Mendon, MA 01756