Thank you for your interest in becoming part of the Southwick’s Zoo team! Please keep in mind that all positions require weekend and holiday availability during the zoo season (April through October). Seasonal positions are not full time, and schedules will vary weekly for most positions.
Applications for review may or may not get a call for interview. Please review the position descriptions available below to determine which position you are best suited for.
In accordance with Massachusetts child labor laws, please no applicants under 16 years of age.
*If you are looking for information regarding internships at Southwick’s Zoo, click HERE.
*If you are looking for the application for Galliford’s Restaurant & Tavern, click HERE.
Please review the positions below to determine which position you are best suited for. Click position titles to expand for full descriptions. Please do not apply for positions unless you meet both age and job requirements. Sorry, due to the high volume of applications we receive, we will not be able to consider applications that do not meet all requirements.
Requirements For All Applicants
- All applicants must be at least 16 years of age. Please note that some positions require a minimum age of 18 years.
- All applicants must be available to work through the month of August
- High School/College Student Availability: Must be available to work both Saturday and Sunday, and must be available to work up to 5 days a week during the summer.
- Non-Student Availability: Must be available to work at least 4 days each week including one weekend day.
Click the positions below for descriptions and requirements.
If you are not hired during the spring or if you are a high school student who will not be 16 until later in the summer, we will hire for many positions in July. Those who are hired later and work through the end of our season will be first on the list to be hired for next year’s season (depending on performance), so this is a fantastic opportunity to get your foot in the door for 2019.
Kiddie Ride Operator (Applicants must be 18+)
Note: Kiddie Ride Operators work with our mechanical kiddie rides, and this position does not include the Skyfari Ride, zipline, pony rides, or camel rides.
Kiddie Ride Operators are responsible for operating the mechanical amusements rides within the zoo. They must ensure a safe environment for zoo visitors while providing exemplary service. Operators board and secure guests, operate rides, enforce zoo safety rules and regulations, and perform additional tasks as required by management.
- Must be safety conscious and have a strong attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Must enjoy working with people, particularly children
- Must have a positive and upbeat demeanor
- Must have strong customer service and communication skills
- Must be comfortable working outdoors and able to work on his or her feet for extended periods of time.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
Corporate Outings Host/Hostess
Corporate Outings Hosts/Hostesses assist with corporate and private events here at Southwick’s Zoo. Over the years we have become a popular venue for events including weddings, corporate outings, family reunions, baby showers, and more. Hosts/Hostesses assist with all aspects of events from set up to clean up. They will monitor and attend to the needs of our guests and ensure that they have a positive experience.
- Must be friendly, outgoing, and personable
- Must be able to work quickly and efficiently
- Must have excellent customer services and communication skills
- Must also be comfortable working outdoors and able to work on his or her feet for extended periods of time
- Must be comfortable lifting and carrying
- Previous hospitality experience is a plus
Animal Care Positions
Please note that we do not have any zookeeper openings at this time. To inquire about future animal care employment opportunities at Southwick’s Zoo, please call 800-258-9182 ext 209 or mail your cover letter (addressed to Betsey Brewer), resume, and two professional references to:
Attn: Animal Care
2 Southwick’s Street
Mendon, MA 01756