As New England’s largest zoo, Southwick’s Zoo is home to more than 850 animals representing over 150 different species. Southwick’s offers an exciting environment for visitors to learn more about animals and their conservation. The educational programs offered at the zoo, as well as those offered to the larger local community, are provided by EARTH Ltd, an environmental education non-profit located at Southwick’s Zoo and based out of the EARTH Discovery Center.
Southwick’s Zoo is currently accepting applications for a seasonal, part-time Assistant Education Coordinator. This position assists the Education Coordinators in the EARTH Discovery Center and reports to the Director of Education.
Approximate work schedule will be four days a week (Friday through Monday) from late March through the end of October.
- Conduct education programming, including on-site formal and informal live animal presentations; Junior Zookeeping; demonstrations for our Wild Adventures Summer Program; off-site ZooMobile presentations; and other off-site events such as career fairs, class lectures, etc.
- Interact and interpret with visitors in a positive manner in a variety of situations.
- Participate in, and support, after-hour events, fundraisers, and other EARTH Ltd. sponsored events.
- Assist in daily care and husbandry of EARTH’s ambassador animal collection, which currently consists of about 60 different species (over 120 individual animals) of invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals.
- Assist in the creation and implementation of enrichment for ambassador animals.
- Assist in the transport of ambassador animals throughout the zoo.
- Assist in daily up-keep of the EARTH Discovery Center.
- Assist in managing and supervising interns.
- Perform membership transactions and administrative tasks in the EARTH Discovery Center as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- College degree in biological sciences, education, or related field required.
- Previous public speaking and/or teaching experience highly preferred.
- Previous experience caring for animals preferred.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be comfortable working with children of all ages, as well as adults.
- Must work well independently, but also as a team player.
- Must be comfortable working in a fast paced environment.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time, work inside and outdoors in any weather, and be able to lift and carry up to 35 pounds.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to: Southwick’s Zoo, ATTN: Samantha Russak, Director of Education, 2 Southwick St, Mendon MA 01756 or email: email@example.com with the subject line “Assistant Education Coordinator”.